Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Living in Arkham


And so ----

I was perusing the feeds and found an article at World of SL that had "Miskatonic Valley" as a part of theme. Wow! You don't hear that name often and that is the home of my new shop, so I of course had to read all about it. The story was fun and creative and imaginative. Truth had little to do with it *wink*, but there are SLURLs to be found and great photos. Read the magazine article HERE. Page 26 is the starting point.

Here's my scoop. I had no plans in telling you all this, but the coincidence was just too -- otherworldly? Gotta get into the spirit.

I decided I wanted a new SL(R) experience. I also decided that I was willing to spend some dinero out of pocket if necessary for rent or tier. So I went on a search for land. You see I had a super cute steam cottage that I wanted to get out into the world and decorate.


It is SO cute, but many prims; tiny lots were not an option. This darling house with many extra decorations came as a surprise from Builders Brewery. It was the prize that they had PLANNED for the Steam Hunt. It wasn't finished in time, so when it became available they sent it out to all the people who had found a temporary prize. Is that cool or WHAT?

When I arrived at the Miskatonic Valley after four hours of land shopping I was thrilled. I picked out a 937 prim section of land and wrote to see if my steampunk house would be OK. The land ad mentioned steampunk, but all the other houses seemed very Victorian. It turned out that my "oh it is so cute" house would be acceptable if a tiny bit of a black sheep.

Meanwhile though, I had done some exploring, found the neighboring sim of Arkham and rented a Victorian. It was a better value and I loved the community feel as opposed to the lone house on the cliff atmosphere. It was like a real little village. If you have gone shopping in themed sims, you know that just like New York, you pretty much have to be on the spot when someone dies (in this case hopefully tires of SL) to get a plot to rent or buy. I was pretty much the first kid on the block and got my pick of the houses. I chose the one across from the college. The church (yes it IS odd) takes up the center of the residential area. I'm guessing there is a reason for that, but not being a Lovecraft fan I can't really say.


I really love my little Victorian and I have great hopes for Arkham. Only time will tell. The article mentions a festival coming up in a few days. I'm not sure that is actually happening. Having dealt with magazines and publishers in real life, I know how long ahead the timeline is before going to print and I haven't heard anything. (Note to self to actually join the group and not just the newspaper.) If there is an event, I'll be sure and let you know. And if you come by and visit, find me right across from the college. Just come on in. There is a fire in the fireplace and never ending cookies on the table. I'm not really open yet, but that doesn't matter *wink*.

Edit: There is indeed an event. Here is the poster.



I'm wondering just WHERE those underground caverns are. HMMMM.

Comments

Popular Posts