Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Seeing Double - Input Please


I was talking to one of my fans today (it seems I have a least three and yes, Nissa I counted you). She mentioned my comment about Blogger and blurry photos. Now most of the time I am pretty happy with how Blogger handles things, but now and then, BLUR is definitely a problem. Sometimes the compression is just a bit too much to take. She thought that most folks didn't look at the high rez versions of the photos and so, perhaps uploading 640 wide (Blogger's largest default size) would be a better choice. So any of you that have an opinion, please comment on this post or send me an IM or notecard in world. Thanks.

This top photo is my current method. I upload large (usually over 900 pixels and sometimes up to 1400 for collages) photos so that folks can click on any of them they like and see the details up close and personal -- or at least bigger.



This photo is resized to 640 before uploading. Hence this is as big as it gets. It does seem a little clearer to me, but as a long ago web designer I am well aware that what "I" see on my monitor is not necessarily what you see on yours. I have a widescreen desktop and the photo above measures 6.6 inches.  And yes, the edges ARE blurry on purpose, just something I typically do as part of my current photo prep these days.



Here are a couple most testing photos. As before the Blogger aided shot that leads to a high rez version is first.


My outfit of the day includes some old favorites, recent releases and some brand newness. The just off the sewing machine releases are these brightly colored and fun checked pants from Orion. They come with kneepad accents and front zippers in an alternate version. Lots of bright colors are available, all mixed with forever fashionable black. The nicely scuplted bottoms come with a resizer as well as manual mod.

Photos were taken at the Maeterlinck Winery which is open 10:00 – 12:00 JST. I have no idea what time that is, but at 4 o'clock SL time they are closed :D.  Still it is a lovely spot.




Click on any photo for a high rez version. You may need to enlarge further with the zoom tool.


Style Notes: 

Hair: Amacci Hair Ulrica ~ Graphite
Skin: []::Tuli::[] Jade (tone 5/li) :: 03a
Clothing: OGF Check Pants Green (new); [SE*Designz] Longsleeve Shirt - black
Shoes: ABOMB Chic Wedges
Accessories: < Yabusaka > Alphabet Changer Pendant

Poses by:Diesel Works

Comments

Serene Fairey said…
Oh hun there are WAAY more than three :) I used to upload using blogger's tools on my old blog but I wasnt satisfied with the sizes. So now I use a free flickr account and link to the pictures I've put up there. I like how this tool works for me. I upload a version that is 1250 pixels and Flickr automatically resamples the smaller ones for me; I display the 500 pixel version on the blog, linked to the 1250. The free accounts have gotten a little less user-friendly lately, but are still quite useable. Some of the new restrictions on the Free accounts include maximum photo size of 1250 pixels, and after a while, clicking on the blog link only brings up a 640 pixel version instead of the bigger one. (If you upgrade to a "Pro" account all these restrictions lift.) It works for me on my budget. Love, Serene
Anonymous said…
I almost never.... ok... never ever.. enlarge your photos. You take such clear beautiful ones that enlargement for me isn't necessary but now that you have demonstrated the difference I am even more impressed but I will still say I am probably not going to enlarge photos... *laughs*
Nissa Nightfire said…
yay! Well -- it could be my very old and over-worked eyes, but I don't see a significant difference between the two test photos. I do have to admit I don't usually enlarge photos that are already as large as yours are ... altho' I think it is nice to have the option. I also use flickr pro ... so it does make it a little easier for me to provide multiple sizes without depending on the blog software. Hmm... I pretty sure I wasn't at all helpful here. I'll be your fan no matter what you decide to do ;)

Popular Posts